Wednesday, October 15, 2008

my purpose

Darren really brought it tonight. He talked about what our purpose is here & now. What I heard:
"Life without purpose is meaningless, it's an endless cycle of futility." "My purpose is to prepare myself and others for 'over there'."
COTC's purpose from the beginning has been to help people find and grow in an intimate relationship with God. We work to help people grow into the likeness of Christ and then we share with others God's purpose and our own journey with others. We, as people of faith are to live lives that show Christ, then guide those who watch to that next step into their own relationship with Him. Those who have known Him for some time are responsible for helping new believers grow in their faith, encouraging them and showing them how it all works. Not an easy task. Also not one that we can do unintentionally. We have to know that we're being watched. Darren asked, "What do you YOU do best?" Well, I guess that would be communicate, talk, write, share information. Then, "How is God going to take THAT and use it to bring HIM glory? I'm thinking that would be by my letting Him use me to make announcements and learning how to direct the communications at the church, maybe even by publishing the book He's guiding me to write. Finally, "How can COTC help you with that?" Support, trust, love, respect. All those things that we all want, and especially if we're putting ourselves out there. I love this time where I've learned my purpose. It scares me half to death to know I'm to lead & direct others. It's so much easier to just do things myself. But He's shown me a body of volunteers who produce communication at COTC in the most excellent and effective way possible, leaving me to only direct. That alone scares me. I want to keep my hands on the jobs because I know how to do them and I have a passion for the way things are done that portray our church. Thing is, God is saying, "LET GO!" So, now, we figure out how to make this all work in real life. As Scarlett would say, "I'll think about that tomorrow, after all, tomorrow is another day."

No comments: